Mom found some great Warren Kimble-issued fabric, which goes perfectly with her plates and bowls. Can you believe they are plastic? Perfect for get-togethers. Totally kid-friendly!
I LOVE these glasses etched with ships. They are so classic-looking.
And you can't have a colonial New England table without a lighthouse!
Now let's talk about the food! Lemonade chicken, macaroni-corn casserole, avocado shrimp boats and mozzarella bites.
Let's start with the main course: lemonade chicken. Here is the recipe:
You will need 3 whole chicken breasts, split.
- 1 - 6 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate thawed
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp. celery salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic salt or powder
Grill, or bake in a greased baking dish at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Now let's talk about the macaroni-corn casserole. I'm a sucker for a great mac 'n cheese. And this is spectacular!
Here is the recipe. You will need:
- 1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 cup shell macaroni (uncooked)
- 2 cups cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1 stick margarine or butter (cut up)
Bake in a buttered 2 qt. covered casserole dish at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Stir well and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes.
I used these super cute mini bakers. I baked them for 35 minutes, then uncovered for 5 more minutes.
Best mac 'n cheese I've ever had!!
On to something that looks fancy, but is really easy - avocado shrimp boats!
You will need:
- 3 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup shrimp, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup small onion, finely chopped (are you seeing a trend here??)
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped with stem
- 1/2 cup wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
I also whipped up some mozzarella bites, using some fresh ingredients from my garden!! These are super easy to make, too. You will need:
- fresh mozzarella, cubed
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar (mom let me use her good bottle, straight from Italy!!)
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!!